Verstreute Informationen und rooting eines Shift6m, Hilfe. :})

vulpide

Original poster
Beta Tester
14 Oktober 2021
Hallo alle zusammen,
Ich bin ein neuer und begeisterter Benutzer der Shiftphones-Familie direkt aus Italien.

Ich entschuldige mich sofort für meine Art zu sprechen, also Deutsch-Spaghetti, aber leider habe ich noch kein Deutsch gelernt und habe große Schwierigkeiten, Informationen in einem rein deutschen Forum zu finden, das hat mir viele Probleme bereitet.

Ich habe die Shift6m seit zwei Tagen, dazu habe ich gleich das Update SHIFT6M.SOS.2.0.L.20210709-BETA-LIGHT-OTA installiert von dem ich vollauf zufrieden bin, würde ich sagen begeistert. Ich müsste jetzt rooten, glauben Sie mir, ich habe überhaupt nichts verstanden; Jetzt bin ich hier, um Sie um freundliche Hilfe oder einen möglichst klaren Hinweis darauf zu bitten, wie Sie mit dem oben genannten Update rooten können.

Danke von ganzem Herzen, einen herzlichen Gruß aus Italien.

ps: Ich glaube, du verstehst, ich musste einen automatischen Übersetzer benutzen, um dir zu schreiben ^_^´

pps: das ziel wäre, nach dem rooten, auch microg zu installieren, ich weiß nicht ob das aktuell möglich ist und ob es eine verständliche Anleitung dazu gibt

ppps: i mean of course rooting the phone :})

faro la tua domanda in inglese.
I actually have a Shift6m, updated with SHIFT6M.SOS.2.0.L.20210709-BETA-LIGHT-OTA,
everything is nice and working.

Now I should:
  • root my phone
  • install microg
Unluckily every info I have found in this forum is in German, and as you see I'm very bad at it (atm, since I'd like to learn);
I need a clear tutorial how to root my Shift6m with SOS 2.0 L and (if possible) another tutorial to install microg, since every tutorial I have found here, when translated from German is very unclear and nearly impossible to be followed (by me).

Is there an international wiki or some inglish guides on how to root Shift6m? And is there one for microg?

With a short overview, this should narrow your problem to a point.
The 6m is a Mediatek device. You need Flashtool (search for it in the Forum).
With the help of Flashtool you are able to install a magisk-patched Bootimage.

For English instructions by Mediatek devices read here.

If you have Magisk you are able to flash a Magisk-Modul with MicroG, so it will survive Updates. Search for it in the Magisk-Manager after Rooting. The Module is called "MicroG Installer Revived". As alternate you could use Nanodroid (what I would recommend til Android 9).

Greetz

With a short overview, this should narrow your problem to a point.
The 6m is a Mediatek device. You need Flashtool (search for it in the Forum).
With the help of Flashtool you are able to install a magisk-patched Bootimage.

For English instructions by Mediatek devices read here.

If you have Magisk you are able to flash a Magisk-Modul with MicroG, so it will survive Updates. Search for it in the Magisk-Manager after Rooting. The Module is called "MicroG Installer Revived". As alternate you could use Nanodroid (what I would recommend til Android 9).

Greetz
Hi @Lhotze and thanks for the kind answer.

I started following your link, some question arises:

• I already have unlocked bootloader
  • In https://www.androidjungles.com/install-twrp-on-mediatek-using-sp-flash-tool/ :
    • Step 1. Download and Extract MTK Stock firmware:
      It says "you will mostly find the Stock Firmware on the official website of your OEM". What is that talking about? What should I download for the Shift6m?
      It also asks fot boot .img, is that the boot-verified.img contained inside the SOS.1.1 -FLASHTOOL?
    • Step 2. Download TWRP Recovery for MediaTek Devices:
      What version of TWRP should I Download from the site: https://twrp.me/Devices/? There is nothing specific to Mediatek or SHIFT.
I have got this huge zip file with many images inside: SHIFT6M.SOS.1.1.L.20201126-FLASHTOOL, here is the list:
Code:
    MDDB_InfoCustomAppSrcP_MT6797_S00_MOLY_LR11_W1630_MD_MP_V96_3_1_ulwctg_n.EDB
    lk-verified.img
    MT6797_Android_scatter.txt
    APDB_MT6797_S01_alps-trunk-o0.tk_W17.45
    md1dsp-verified.img
    md3img-verified.img
    preloader_SHIFT6m.bin
    scp-verified.img
    logo-verified.bin
    tee-verified.img
    md1arm7-verified.img
    md1img-verified.img
    MDDB.C2K.META_MT6797_S00_SIXTH_CBP_MD_MP5_V101_2_3_3g_n.EDB
    Checksum.ini
    system_other.img
    boot-verified.img
    MDDB.META_MT6797_S00_MOLY_LR11_W1630_MD_MP_V96_3_1_ulwctg_n.EDB
    odmdtbo-verified.img
    vendor.img
    userdata.img
    system.img

What is SHIFT6M.SOS.1.1.L.20201126-FLASHTOOL.zip ?
I am already using the SHIFT6M.SOS.2.0.L.20210709-BETA-LIGHT-OTA.zip.

Don't really understand what to do to avoid errors, everything is starting to feel like impossible and unclear; I am a developer and long time Linux user, that's aggravating factor.

Also: SP Flashtool asks for two file entries: Download-XML and Authentication File. What are and where do I get those?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Also, you need a Flashtool from here.

In attachment is the latest Magisk-Patched Bootimage from 13.10.2021 ShiftOS-L.

Kind of a service...

You open Flashtool. The file you have to choose is "MT6797_Android_scatter.txt"
Deselect all ticks.
By clicking on the path ("Location" column) in the "boot_a" line, a window opens again in which the patched file "boot.img" is opened. After selecting, only this line should be ticked.

By clicking on the green, downward-pointing arrow "Download", the Flash Tool goes into waiting mode.
Plugging in the switched-off Shiftphone starts the flash process.

Taken from here:
  1. Switch off the shiftphone
  2. Start the Flash Tool by double-clicking on "flash tool.exe".
  3. In the "Download" tab in the "Scatter -loading File" line, click on the folder symbol "choose" (far right) and navigate to the directory of the unzipped ShiftOS-FLASHTOOL package (the same folder from which the "boot-verified.img "was copied!)
  4. Open the text file "MT6797_Android_scatter". The flash tool now checks the files for correctness and shows the partitions and files that are flashed. Now all the check boxes are selected on the left.all boxes checked.PNG
  5. By clicking on the box below the drop-down menu, all boxes are deselected (empty boxes!)all boxes unchecked.PNG
  6. By clicking on the path ("Location" column) in the "boot_a" line, a window opens again in which the patched file "magisk_patched.img" is opened. After selecting, only this line should be ticked.boot_a checked only.PNG
  7. By clicking on the green, downward-pointing arrow "Download", the Flash Tool goes into waiting mode.
  8. Plugging in the switched-off Shiftphone starts the flash process.
  9. After that, the phone should start without any problems. In the Magisk Manager App there should now also be a green tick next to "Magisk".
  10. You now have ROOT access!
That should it be...
Greetz

Anhänge

• magisk_patched-23000_BHAFm.img
    12,5 MB · Aufrufe: 3
  • boot_a checked only.PNG
    boot_a checked only.PNG
    73,9 KB · Aufrufe: 2
Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Also, you need a Flashtool from here.

In attachment is the latest Magisk-Patched Bootimage from 13.10.2021 ShiftOS-L.

Kind of a service...

You open Flashtool. The file you have to choose is "MT6797_Android_scatter.txt"
Deselect all ticks.
By clicking on the path ("Location" column) in the "boot_a" line, a window opens again in which the patched file "boot.img" is opened. After selecting, only this line should be ticked.

By clicking on the green, downward-pointing arrow "Download", the Flash Tool goes into waiting mode.
Plugging in the switched-off Shiftphone starts the flash process.

Taken from here:
  1. Switch off the shiftphone
  2. Start the Flash Tool by double-clicking on "flash tool.exe".
  3. In the "Download" tab in the "Scatter -loading File" line, click on the folder symbol "choose" (far right) and navigate to the directory of the unzipped ShiftOS-FLASHTOOL package (the same folder from which the "boot-verified.img "was copied!)
  4. Open the text file "MT6797_Android_scatter". The flash tool now checks the files for correctness and shows the partitions and files that are flashed. Now all the check boxes are selected on the left.Anhang anzeigen 3620
  5. By clicking on the box below the drop-down menu, all boxes are deselected (empty boxes!)Anhang anzeigen 3621
  6. By clicking on the path ("Location" column) in the "boot_a" line, a window opens again in which the patched file "magisk_patched.img" is opened. After selecting, only this line should be ticked.Anhang anzeigen 3623
  7. By clicking on the green, downward-pointing arrow "Download", the Flash Tool goes into waiting mode.
  8. Plugging in the switched-off Shiftphone starts the flash process.
  9. After that, the phone should start without any problems. In the Magisk Manager App there should now also be a green tick next to "Magisk".
  10. You now have ROOT access!
That should it be...
Greetz

Thank you for your kind support,

I have found that:
- I was using SP Flash Tool v6.x, I should have used the leatest v5.x, since v6 has no Scatter-loading File tab, and that was driving me a bit insane.
- I did as you said:
1. Selected MT6769_Android_scatter.txt as Scatter-loading File
2. Unchecked everything, leaving only boot_a and selecting the boot image you gently atteched
3. Download, then connected the shutfown Shift6m and voila it is done.

Then I turned on the smartphone, everything was working; then I used Root Checker to verify if I was rooted and my device was not rooted.

What am I missing?

Thank you

Maybe you have to change Bootslot as flashtool is only able to patch slot_a. Guess your device is on slot_b. Try to install the latest OTA through recovery or OTA-App. That should change the Boot-Slot. Then try flashing the patched boot-Image again. Every Update change System-Slots. Flashtool can only flash Slot A. If Magisk is patched, then you can write out of the system on Slot B so you keep your Root after Updates.
Greetz

Maybe you have to change Bootslot as flashtool is only able to patch slot_a. Guess your device is on slot_b. Try to install the latest OTA through recovery or OTA-App. That should change the Boot-Slot. Then try flashing the patched boot-Image again. Every Update change System-Slots. Flashtool can only flash Slot A. If Magisk is patched, then you can write out of the system on Slot B so you keep your Root after Updates.
Greetz
Thanks,
as you say I'll try to install a new OTA so my boot-slot will change.

Secondary question: how could I install a recovery like TWRP (or other if you suggest) in my Shift6m?

ps: seems that nanodroid needs a Recovery Tool to be installed... I don't really need TWRP by now, but it seems something like that is needed to get nanodroid which will bring me microg.

pps: I have found that a forum user, blackcat, found a TWRP image for SHIFT6m here. If I'll flash this boot, will I loose my root privileges?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
I wouldn't recommend flashing the twrp. At first it's not full working, at last if you replace the boot with a less actually, you might lose functions and security...

Did you try flash Nanodroid through Magisk 😉.
If you need signature spoofing, install Edxposed or LSposed through Magisk and the Module Core-Patch.
For Signature-Spoofing the Nanodroid-Patch should under Android 8 work fine if it's not implemented in ShiftOS-L (but i think it should).
Greetz

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
I wouldn't recommend flashing the twrp. At first it's not full working, at last if you replace the boot with a less actually, you might lose functions and security...

Did you try flash Nanodroid through Magisk 😉.
If you need signature spoofing, install Edxposed or LSposed through Magisk and the Module Core-Patch.
For Signature-Spoofing the Nanodroid-Patch should under Android 8 work fine if it's not implemented in ShiftOS-L (but i think it should).
Greetz

Everything is new to me, I am happy about that.
So could I flash Nanodroid through Magisk? I didn't know that Magisk was also able of doing such a thing, I thought it was only a rooting method! I have been searching for a tutorial but nothing arises, how should I act to achieve this objective?

ps: thank you so much for the rooting advices, my phone is now rooted and waiting for nanodroid. :})