CalyxOS installation

Keverineke

Original poster
7 Dezember 2023
Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Why don't you try it. If it says recovery mode you are in the recovery mode and if it says fastboot mode you are in the fastboot mode. 😃
But you are right. Fastboot mode is Volume Up + Power on ShiftOS. Maybe it is the other way round in CalyxOS.
Don't know because I am not using it.

When I am in fastboot menu the "Device state" is Locked, how can I unlock that?
only thing I can select there with the power button is:
START: to restart the device
RESTART BOOTLOADER: refresh
RECOVERY MODE: I don't have try these one
Powef Off: turn of the device

plugged or not plugged to the usb, same thing.

When I am in fastboot menu the "Device state" is Locked, how can I unlock that?
only thing I can select there with the power button is:
START: to restart the device
RESTART BOOTLOADER: refresh
RECOVERY MODE: I don't have try these one
Powef Off: turn of the device

plugged or not plugged to the usb, same thing.
Bro... just read the first post in this thread

I have read this, but I can't figure it out..

- The KDK-Tools folder is situated on my host PC "C:\adb" with there all the files in.
- The USB Drivers folder is situated on my host PC "C:\Users\PCName\Desktop\SHIFT flashing\CalyxOS\usb driver\usb_driver with all the files in it.
When I right click on "android_winusb.inf" to instal, I don't have the popup like in these tutorial were you can check or unchek the option "Software von "Google LLC" immer vertrouen" but I have just a simple popup chowing up thaht says thath installation is succes, and you just can click "OK".

Then when I try to proceed:
when I goes to the cmd via the PDK-Toos folder and type "fastboot devices" there are no devices that show up, so I open the Windows Device manager, click right on "Android" than select "Update Driver" but there I can't select the file "android_winusb.inf", I just can see the folder, but no files in there (it's like the file format is no compatible) he don't show the files in the folder, so I can't select it.

- The KDK-Tools folder is situated on my host PC "C:\adb" with there all the files in.
- The USB Drivers folder is situated on my host PC "C:\Users\PCName\Desktop\SHIFT flashing\CalyxOS\usb driver\usb_driver with all the files in it.
When I right click on "android_winusb.inf" to instal, I don't have the popup like in these tutorial were you can check or unchek the option "Software von "Google LLC" immer vertrouen" but I have just a simple popup chowing up thaht says thath installation is succes, and you just can click "OK".

when I goes to the cmd via the PDK-Toos folder and type "fastboot devices" there are no devices that show up, so I open the Windows Device manager, click right on "Android" than select "Update Driver" but there I can't select the file "android_winusb.inf", I just can see the folder, but no files in there (it's like the file format is no compatible) he don't show the files in the folder, so I can't select it.
Does "adb devices" show anything? (fastbood devices also only works in fastboot mode) Is there any unknown device in the Device Manager?

Which guide are you following and at which exact step you are experiencing problems and which? I would suggest not to mix up different guides. I also think you might not following the mentioned procedure exactly.

The doc over at CalyxOS does not mention anything about explicitly unlocking the bootloader. Probably the deciceflasher attempts to do so and you just have to confirm. It also says nothing about the SDK tools being required.

Also if right clicking on the inf file is not successful the guide links to the instructions from google. They say you have to select only the folder containing the USB driver if you are about to install it from the device manager.

As you are about to install CalyxOS you should stick to that guide. Also make sure you understand the step by step instructions and follow them meticulously. Then if there still are problems you can report them. However I think this is the wrong thread and this should go here.

I will resume quick, I follow the guide on the Calyx website:

- Preparing steps:
Phone: Enable USB debugging and OEM unlocking on the phone done;
1. Put device in fastboot mode (power of > Hold power + volume up 4 sec.), done;
2. Connect phone to pc (not with the original shiftphone cable because of the usb-c to usb-a adapter, I use my original OnePlus usb-a to usb-c cable), done;
3. Extract the Google USB Driver zip file, done;
4. Instal "winusb.inf" (right-click > instal), done;
Host pc: Download Google USB drivers and instal it, done;
Host pc: Download device-flasher and factory image in the same folder + verify digest, done;

- Instal CalyxOS:
1. Connect phone to host pc (I never unplugged the cable..), done;
2. Instal device-flasher (double click on the file "device-flasher" on the host pc), NOT done

On the terminal I have the following message "No devices to be flashed. Exiting..."

I have screenshots..
and on the fastboot screen of the shiftphone with the big green START text, at the buttom "device state: locked".

I think maybe a problem with the USB drivers?
I also have linux mint in dual boot on my pc, maybe a better way to do it?
I already download the files also, verify the digests, .. :D but I don't understand how to execute the following command in the terminal to run device-flasher:
"chmod +x device-flasher.linux
./device-flasher.linux"

I'm not working a lot on linux, I have instal it recently and I need to learn some stuff first to switch completely..

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Thanks for the detailed steps.

I would try another USb cable.

Maybe also try to reconnect the device before running the device installer.

Are you sure the drivers are installed correctly. As @Ene already mentioned open the Windows Device Manager, plug in the device, refresh and check if there are new devices. If they are unknown try to update the driver from the as I mentioned before.

Ok, I will try with another USB cable..
Can I try the original USB-C to USB-C cable (I have an USB-C port in my host pc)?

To try it via the device manager, the phone should be connected to the pc in fostboot or normal?
Because I have already try that, but when I right-click on "Android" > update drivers > browse pc file > when I go to the folder where the file "winusb.inf" is, I can't see the file....
when I select the whole map "usb-driver" I have a popup that windows don't find the pilot/driver.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
I try it with the original SHIFT USB-C to USB-C cable, same problem.
I don't think the cable is the problem because I try several cables and several USB ports op host PC.

I my opinion It's the USB driver that give me problems,
it seems that the device_flasher dont have acces/permissions to do..

I have heart that Google USB Driver's are frequently problems on Windows.
On linux it's already integrated I think, just need the "sudo apt install android-sdk-platform-tools-common".
but then, on step 2 under "CalyxOS instal" I need to to the following command:
chmod +x device-flasher.linux
./device-flasher.linux

But I ignore how to execute this command, so I need to do it like this?

chmod +x /home/username/downloads/CalyxOS/device-flasher.linux
./device-flasher.linux

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
I try it with the original SHIFT USB-C to USB-C cable, same problem.
I don't think the cable is the problem because I try several cables and several USB ports op host PC.

I my opinion It's the USB driver that give me problems,
it seems that the device_flasher dont have acces/permissions to do..
I got hands on a Windows 10 PC and I was able to install the driver from the device manager without problem. I also think it worked for you if it now shows an "Android ADB Component" after connecting it to the PC.
I have heart that Google USB Driver's are frequently problems on Windows.
On linux it's already integrated I think, just need the "sudo apt install android-sdk-platform-tools-common".
but then, on step 2 under "CalyxOS instal" I need to to the following command:
./device-flasher.linux

But I ignore how to execute this command, so I need to do it like this?

chmod +x /home/username/downloads/CalyxOS/device-flasher.linux
./device-flasher.linux
In which directory are you when executing the chmod command? Because if you are not in the directory where the executable resides simply calling:
Code:
./device-flasher.linux
wont work. You have to call
Code:
/home/username/downloads/CalyxOS/device-flasher.linux

Relative path vs. absolute path. The absolute path should work in any case. The relative only if you specify it correctly relative to from where you are.

I also had problems with
Code:
adb devices
not showing anything in the bootloader/fastboot mode. However if I enter fastboot(d) from the recovery the device showed up. I am not saying you should try flashing the device in this mode because I don't know if this will mess things up. Someone with more experience should answer here. Never felt the need to run another OS besides ShiftOS-L.

In the device manager under "Other devices" I can find "Android" (thats the shiftphone) but with a little yellow triangle... see screenshot.

On linux i'm not in a directory, i'm in the terminal to execute the command
./device-flasher.linux"
to run the device-flasher.

I will try the absolute path there and not a relative path.

Anhänge

• IMG_20231219_220114.jpg
    IMG_20231219_220114.jpg
    11,4 MB · Aufrufe: 3
In the device manager under "Other devices" I can find "Android" (thats the shiftphone) but with a little yellow triangle... see screenshot.
This is probably not correct.
Here it is under "Android Device - Android Composite ADB Interface" without the yellow exclamation mark.
On linux i'm not in a directory, i'm in the terminal to execute the command
./device-flasher.linux"
to run the device-flasher.

I will try the absolute path there and not a relative path.
😞
Of course you are in a directory if you open the terminal! Just type "pwd" and check what path it returns.

And please post to this thread here where I moved the whole discussion!

This is probably not correct.
Here it is under "Android Device - Android Composite ADB Interface" without the yellow exclamation mark.

😞
Of course you are in a directory if you open the terminal! Just type "pwd" and check what path it returns.
pwd = /home/pcname

So can I execute the following command?
chmod +x /home/pcname/downloads/CalyxOS/device-flasher.linux
./device-flasher.linux

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Only if you put a
Code:
cd /home/pcname/downloads/CalyxOS
between the chmod command and the device-flasher.linux command.

You are not in the directory of the device-flasher.linux executable. This is why the first command does not work as mentioned in the instructions. You changed it to the absolute path and it worked. If you don't change the directory you have to use the absolute path again. If you change the directory in the first place you can use exactly the commands mentioned in the guide.

Sorry to say this but basically you are not reading the guide properly and/or you seem to lack the necessary knowledge about how terminals, command lines etc. work.

The guide says:

Step 2. Run device-flasher
Open a terminal, change to the directory with the firmware image, and run:
Code:
./device-flasher.linux

And according to the guide this will only work if the device-flasher is in the same directory as the CalyxOS image.

So you have to read properly and if there is anything you don't understand don't skip it or assume something but try to understand what is expected. Only then you will succeed.

The guys from Calyx are already trying very hard to make things easy with the installer and the guide but still some things must be learned because it is not automated 100%.

Reaktionen: Dwain Zwerg
In the device manager under "Other devices" I can find "Android" (thats the shiftphone) but with a little yellow triangle... see screen
This means that the device is unknown or not correctly installed, or it (the device) has problems.
Sorry to say this but basically you are not read the guide properly and/or you lack the necessary knowledge about how terminals, command lines etc.vice-flasher is in the same directory as the CalyxOS image.
[...]
So you have to read properly and if there is anything you don't understand don't skip it or assume something but try to understand what is expected. Only then you will succeed.
+1