Opinions on SHIFT6mq

rindt

Original poster
25 Juni 2023
Hello, everyone.

Could somebody please point me to any anglophone reviews of the SHIFT6mq or share their opinions with me? There does not seem to be very many of them on the internet in general, let alone ones containing useful information.
I find it a very desirable phone in terms of parameters. But I am a bit scared to go in head first and spend so much money without hearing feedback from anyone else but the manufacturer.
I am not a very heavy user; the most important factors for me are the battery life and the length of the phone's lifespan. I plan on flashing CalyxOS.

Thanks in advance.
- rindt

Hello, everyone.

Could somebody please point me to any anglophone reviews of the SHIFT6mq or share their opinions with me? There does not seem to be very many of them on the internet in general, let alone ones containing useful information.
I find it a very desirable phone in terms of parameters. But I am a bit scared to go in head first and spend so much money without hearing feedback from anyone else but the manufacturer.
I am not a very heavy user; the most important factors for me are the battery life and the length of the phone's lifespan. I plan on flashing CalyxOS.

Thanks in advance.
- rindt
If you plan on using CalyxOS, you could go and ask in their community channels to get direct feedback from "real users" I guess :)

If you plan on using CalyxOS, you could go and ask in their community channels to get direct feedback from "real users" I guess :)
That's a valid point, thanks. However I would consider quasi-universal information pertaining to the hardware very much useful too.

- How does the general build of the phone feel, in terms of ruggedness?
- How smooth is the experience overall? (I suppose this will vary between different flavours of Android, but not substantially I imagine.) Does the FPS decrease noticeably while vigorously scrolling through native menus?

All answers are welcome. The more verbose, the better.
Thanks in advance.

To answer in general (no experience with Calyx)
My personal experience to your questions:
- The phone is still out of plastic, but it feels quite rugged. Only the display is not very stable
- I don't have the impression that the FPS decrease while scrolling through the menus. So quite smooth experience

Typical points of criticism of the Shift6mq (my impression):
- Camera is not very good, especially the native camera app. ok pictures with gcam
- Display breaks pretty easily (but opinions differ, see https://forum.shiftphones.com/threads/display-resilienz-kehrseite-der-modularitaet.4850/, https://forum.shiftphones.com/threads/display-defekt.3834/, some (as me) are at their third or fourth display in two years, some never had any problems)
- No major Android update for more than 2.5 years (but Android 13 is in its beta phase and should be ready soon), no minor security update for 9 months
- Speaker volume is pretty low
- "Color noise" can be seen on dark gray areas

I don't think this list is complete but it's at least what I notice the most.

Other than these points, I don't have any problems with the Shift6mq.

Maybe this thread can still help you:
It's in german but google translate should give a decent result.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Thanks a lot! That's just what I've been looking for. The statements of all the people with broken displays are quite distressing. Though they could well just constitute a vocal minority, I don't think I will take the risk of buying the phone, despite the fact that it could be well worth it in the end (considering all the positive feedback). I'll gloss over some more threads in this forum and see what I decide for in the end.
Anyway, thanks again.
- rindt