SHIFT6mq just out of warranty & broken screen?

Dieterich

Original poster
6 Februar 2023
Guten Tag an alle, :)

Mein Deutsch is nicht gut, aber mein Englisch schon.

I just created my account and am new to the forum. I hope I'm in the right place with my question in English.

Model: SHIFT6mq (buy date 07.12.2020)
OS: ? - (the standard OS that shipped with the phone in December 2020)
Problem: Currently unusable due to (I think) a broken screen and I have some questions about it.

I think my SHIFT6mq that (I think EU law-wise) is just over a month out of warranty (buy date 07.12.2020) and has a broken screen and I was wondering how to proceed. I like the concept of Shift being repairable and all that but I'm a little saddened that my (pretty expensive phone) has already become unusable. I can still charge it (power LED is fine) and when powering I hear a *beep* but the screen remains dark as the night. :/ Pressing the android recovery mode key combination doesn't change anything. I took good care of the phone and bought the rubber case along with it for extra protection. I'm afraid also I'd loose my precious data (although I do have backups of the most important things.). I read somewhere that you can actually attach an external screen to an android device over USB-c but I don't know whether that would work at boot time (this would confirm my suspicion of the broken screen). Could someone confirm whether using an USB-c external screen would work at boot time with an external screen? If so I could go looking for somewhere to try that. (I don't have a usb-c supporting screen myself atm). If confirmed that it's (only) the screen, I would consider trying the repair myself (I watched this video of it already:
URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gooNWu3FFT0
and have some experience with electronics).

Is there another way y'all think I can confirm the only defect indeed is the screen?

Is there any way to backup the entire data before I try the repair without being able to boot the device?

Any chance I could get a screen repair kit as compensation for the trouble?

Looking forward to hearing from you. :)

Herzliche grüsse aus belgien,
Dieter

Guten Tag Dieter,
My Sister had a similar Situation on Christmas. Luckily we had no backup worries, so I screwed it open on christmas, had a look insde, looked if all connectors were fine and connected and reassembled it. That didn't help, but it was such a breeze, that she afterwards decided to give it a go herself. She had so far not really much experience with devices like these, however, when she received her Display unit a few days later and her first iFixit kit (the plectrum thingies in there are super helpfull), it was 10-15 Minutes for her to get the display exchanged.

When I had my Display issues on my Fairphone 2, I found a friend who had the same Device, and swapped screens with them to verify that. I had touch issues though and not a broken screen. If you come to germany frequently, there are people at https://net.shift.eco/ that might be willing to swap screens to verify stuff like that if you ask them, especially under the "repair" categoy :)

On the Topic of backups and external screens, I searched the forum and found a few posts:
I would say if you have the stuff for that lying around, you can try it out, seems possible and seems recommended for unlocking the screen in such situations. I can't say first hand for a shiftphones device, because I live far away from all the shiftphones in my Family, my girlfriends Pixel2 has a working keyboard and mouse at least during unlocking, so I would assume if the device can handle an external monitor, it can handle that during unlocking :)

On the topic of free repair kits, you might have to go through the support form :)
Herzliche Grüße aus deutschland,
Gerrit

Reaktionen: Dieterich
Guten Tag Dieter,
My Sister had a similar Situation on Christmas. Luckily we had no backup worries, so I screwed it open on christmas, had a look insde, looked if all connectors were fine and connected and reassembled it. That didn't help, but it was such a breeze, that she afterwards decided to give it a go herself. She had so far not really much experience with devices like these, however, when she received her Display unit a few days later and her first iFixit kit (the plectrum thingies in there are super helpfull), it was 10-15 Minutes for her to get the display exchanged.

When I had my Display issues on my Fairphone 2, I found a friend who had the same Device, and swapped screens with them to verify that. I had touch issues though and not a broken screen. If you come to germany frequently, there are people at https://net.shift.eco/ that might be willing to swap screens to verify stuff like that if you ask them, especially under the "repair" categoy :)

On the Topic of backups and external screens, I searched the forum and found a few posts:
I would say if you have the stuff for that lying around, you can try it out, seems possible and seems recommended for unlocking the screen in such situations. I can't say first hand for a shiftphones device, because I live far away from all the shiftphones in my Family, my girlfriends Pixel2 has a working keyboard and mouse at least during unlocking, so I would assume if the device can handle an external monitor, it can handle that during unlocking :)

On the topic of free repair kits, you might have to go through the support form :)
Herzliche Grüße aus deutschland,
Gerrit
Vielen Dank für Ihre Antwort. :)

I haven't been able to get my hands on any USB-c supporting screen. They seem (still) quite rare over here in Belgium.

I just (finally managed to find the time to) submitted the support form question. :) *fingers crossed.

Tschüss!