[english speakers] as a beginner how to get and install ShiftOS Light on my 6m ?

Hakimouse

Original poster
Beta Tester
2 September 2020
Hello everybody,
I want to be sure of what I do so i prefer to ask here :
as a BEGINNER, how to get and install ShiftOS Light on my 6m ? I I don't want google anymore but I still want to use some mainstream apps (bank,navigation,...)
@amartinz

Thanks a lot
Hakim (non german speaking)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Just take a look at the answers to your previous questions!? As for the update you just need to grab the proper installation file from the announcement thread. The procedure has not changed within one year.

With the switch you will lose your data. There is no way around. So before you have to backup everything important.

I do not think that Shift did something weird with the system. Probably they flashed back OS-G as the Standard OS when repairing it.

Just take a look at the answers to your previous questions!? As for the update you just need to grab the proper installation file from the announcement thread. The procedure has not changed within one year.

With the switch you will lose your data. There is no way around. So before you have to backup everything important.

I do not think that Shift did something weird with the system. Probably they flashed back OS-G as the Standard OS when repairing it.
Ok I understand, I think that's what they did, do you know if i can go back to L instead of G for the OS ?
I don't find the ressources area anymore...
@amartinz
@danielp

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
The ressources are gone and IMHO should have never been the place to look for updates. The proper location would be the sticky announcement threads under Forums -> Software -> ShiftOS and if desired the Beta sub forum. The threads contain instructions for installation, switching between G and L as well as the links to the proper download location.

HOW HARD IS IT FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND THAT NOT EVERYBODY SPEAKS GERMAN !!! therefore i can't find informations about what i want on this forum !
this is why : i'm trying here to create an english thread for stupid people like me who thought that shiftphone company care about english speaking clients.
there was a resource area which disappeared so i was confused AND then shiftphone changed my OS without asking me so even more confused. So I come for help and I don't find it because it's all german. That's why i create an english speaker thread, thinking that maybe other people could benefit of it.
expected more empathy i have to admit...

You have my complete empathy but did you ever hear of translation tools?

Nowadays I don't think everything has to be translated. You are right however that Shift could at least provide the announcement threads in English.

For instance if I put the contents of an announcement thread in Deepl the results are very convincing!

Example just pasting the important parts of the German text of ShiftOS.2.0.L.20211013 in the translator (did not bother with proper formatting):

ShiftOS.2.0.L.20211013

If you have not yet read the introduction to the beta tests, please read it here -> https://forum.shiftphones.com/threads/einfuehrung-introduction.1417/ Before updating, it is best to read this post to the end. We have just released a new BETA ShiftOS-L version for the SHIFT5me and SHIFT6m. If you already have a BETA version installed and want to update to this version you have to do this manually. You will probably receive the next update automatically. This update is a full system update and can replace any older ShiftOS-G version. The focus of this BETA version is to test the changes listed below. Please feel free to give us feedback on other issues.

Switch between ShiftOS-G and ShiftOS-L

If another version of ShiftOS was previously installed, a factory reset is also necessary!
This means that after installing the OTA update, DO NOT REBOOT but instead reset to factory settings in the settings. The device deletes all data and boots into the new ShiftOS.

The reset can also be done at any time via Recovery. You can find out how to do this under "SPOILER Reset via Recovery".

Manual installation

If you want to install the update manually, you can download it from our download page: SHIFT5me: SHIFT5ME.SOS.2.0.L.20211013 (size and checksum can be found here) SHIFT6m: SHIFT6M.SOS.2.0.L.20211013 (size and checksum can be found here) The manual installation is done via the OTA app: Download OTA update file and place it on the internal memory of the device. Settings -> System -> System update Top right three dots -> Install local file Select the OTA update file If necessary, press the three dots at the top right again and select "Show int. memory". Then open the drawer (top left, the three lines and select "SHIFT...") and select the downloaded file (make sure you use the right file for your device!). Allow the installation to complete (do not restart the device!) and only restart the device at the end when prompted. Verify that the update has been installed Settings -> System -> System update On this screen you should see the following ShiftOS 2.0 L Android 8.1 SHIFT5me - beta or SHIFT6m - beta 13 October 2021

HOW HARD IS IT FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND THAT NOT EVERYBODY SPEAKS GERMAN !!! therefore i can't find informations about what i want on this forum !
this is why : i'm trying here to create an english thread for stupid people like me who thought that shiftphone company care about english speaking clients.
there was a resource area which disappeared so i was confused AND then shiftphone changed my OS without asking me so even more confused. So I come for help and I don't find it because it's all german. That's why i create an english speaker thread, thinking that maybe other people could benefit of it.
expected more empathy i have to admit...
I think its time for you to calm down a little and re-read threads and answers before you start ranting.
ust take a look at the answers to your previous questions!?
as written here, you already asked for the procedure and were given a fast and detailed answer in english.
as for the "resources":
The ressources are gone and IMHO should have never been the place to look for updates. The proper location would be the sticky announcement threads under Forums -> Software -> ShiftOS and if desired the Beta sub forum. The threads contain instructions for installation, switching between G and L as well as the links to the proper download location.
there is the location of the file, and even if you dont speak german you will be able to locate the newest thread with the newes version (numbers are standard arabic ;) )
hope you find your way

Reaktionen: danielp
who thought that shiftphone company care about english speaking clients.
This is mostly a user forum. Most users here speak German!
AND then shiftphone changed my OS without asking me so even more confused
Pretty sure the Shift Support is able to communicate in English. If it was not properly communicated upfront what they are going to do with your phone you could have asked for clarification. If they did not tell you anything about what they are about to do and even did not inform you afterwards about what had been done you should take this up with the Shift Support. Hopefully they can still tell you which actions they have performed.