Bootloader unlock / Root / Custom Recoveries / GSI / ROMs / Mods

Hi Ene, yes I agree, direction is promising. I hope Shift will provide an image also for OS-L. I expect with that I can at least "repair" my phone and perhaps than the patch with magisk will also work ...
Do you know a way to extract boot.img from a working device?
Switch to slot B also didn't worked for me, I assume because I never applied an update slot B is empty.

With
fastboot getvar all
I get
Code:
(bootloader) partition-type:boot_b:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:boot_b: 0x4000000
(bootloader) partition-type:boot_a:raw
(bootloader) partition-size:boot_a: 0x4000000
(bootloader) current-slot:a
(bootloader) has-slot:boot:yes
(bootloader) slot-retry-count:b:7
(bootloader) slot-unbootable:b:yes
(bootloader) slot-successful:b:no
(bootloader) slot-retry-count:a:7
(bootloader) slot-unbootable:a:no
(bootloader) slot-successful:a:yes
(bootloader) slot-count:2

It seems that B was never booted, but I can only see partition size and I don't know how to see whether there is any content in partition.
I doubt slot B is empty. It could be possible, but Shift must have fucked up something in the flashing process for this to happen. Maybe there is a method for extracting the bootimage from the inactive slot by using root in the userspace? You've obtained root by now. I'm gonna try to boot (not flash) the OnePlus 3T (same SOC) TWRP Recovery and see if adb works to extract the bootimage.

Are you sure microG requires an unlocked bootloader? Afaik the only requirement is support for signature spoofing and I hope it is enabled in the ShiftOS-L builds already. If not well then root is required to enable signature spoofing. However the instructions for previous versions of ShiftOS-L do not mention that signature spoofing needs to be explicitly enabled.
I don't need root only for microG but I'd like it to install it via the Nanodroid Package as Magsik Module.

... impatient was the word you were looking for? 😁
I waited for this fucking device for 13 months now...
And I'm pretty pissed, that Shift offers 0 Support for the modding community, in contrast to what they advertised on the device info page.

Keep the discussion in this thread focused on the topic

Reaktionen: apachler
I'm gonna try to boot (not flash) the OnePlus 3T (same SOC) TWRP Recovery and see if adb works to extract the bootimage.

I don't think this will work. Guess TWRP depends on Kernel and Partition-Table of the Phone and not the SoC.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

I doubt slot B is empty. It could be possible, but Shift must have fucked up something in the flashing process for this to happen.
If you continue like this support wont get better!
I waited for this fucking device for 13 months now...
And I'm pretty pissed, that Shift offers 0 Support for the modding community, in contrast to what they advertised on the device info page.
13 months is probably the average waiting time! Also keep in mind that Shift is a small company not Samsung. Just a few days ago they finished the GMS tests and are now waiting for the certification from Google. Im parallel they try to ship devices for beta testers and the first things people are thinking about is rooting instead of contributing as actual testers.
I don't know what the rules are for you but as we got the devices rooting was one of the things not allowed!
Keep the discussion in this thread focused on the topic
I am completely in topic! I hinted that you should not do stuff which is currently not supported.
... impatient was the word you were looking for? 😁
You are so right!

Reaktionen: Raion und blackcat
I don't know what the rules are for you but as we got the devices rooting was one of the things not allowed!
As I understood rooting etc. is only forbidden for ShiftOS-G not OS-L?
In Willkommen im Vorab-Test des SHIFT6mq! they wrote:
In der aktuellen Phase ist es für uns wichtig, dass die normale Android-Version mit Google getestet wird, da wir erst mit der Zertifizierung die Auslieferung starten können. Die Google-Zertifizierung ist eine Art Qualitätskontrolle für die Software und kann nicht umgangen oder weggelassen werden.
but we - at least me - wanted to explicitly test the version without google. And a beta test should not be a test like the developers do - devices should be used under normal conditions.
To do that I need a lot of things that requires root ( backup, firewall, correct dns behaviour, ...).
Therefore I waited for the OS-L beta test and not for OS-G.
And btw. I waited 26 months!!!
Copied from the order: Bestelldatum:16.09.2018

Reaktionen: Ene und Martin S.
In Willkommen im Vorab-Test des SHIFT6mq! they wrote:

but we - at least me - wanted to explicitly test the version without google. And a beta test should not be a test like the developers do - devices should be used under normal conditions.
To do that I need a lot of things that requires root ( backup, firewall, correct dns behaviour, ...).
Therefore I waited for the OS-L beta test and not for OS-G.
And btw. I waited 26 months!!!
Copied from the order: Bestelldatum:16.09.2018
13 or 26 months does not really matter. I can't tell you what to do or not to do with your new device. I just tell you that it is not very smart atm. Shift promised to support stuff like this and I believe them. So at least I am not risking a to break a 800 bucks device. You however can do whatever floats your boat, but then don't come here whining if stuff does not work. I think and I hope with a little more patience everthing you want will be possible without risking damage!

Reaktionen: Raion

Guess that's an missinterpretation because the welcome post was written when the ShiftOS-L release does not exist.

Guess it's forbidden because they want to know there Problems in the beta software. If i do change something by myself i can maybe not narrow down if the Problem is caused by me or if it's a systemwide Problem. 🤔

Greetz

Grundsätzlich steht Shift voll hinter opensource, rooting, etc. Nur in der Betatest-phase sollten wir das Shift OS-G umfassend testen um die Bugs zu fixen. Jetzt muss die Zertifizierung freigegeben sein, dann die 6mq's ausgeliefert, dann müssen die restlichen Bugs gefixt werden, dann rechne ich fest mit einer systematischen Anleitung von Shift, wie wir unsere Devices mit OS-L flashen und rooten können.
Geduld ist halt manchmal eine schwierige Übung😁

Did it today for testing purposes with a modified TWRP (from Asus Poc2) after an manual from XDA. It booted but does not recognize Partitions except boot.

To much danger to mess around if something goes wrong...
Better wait for official releases.

All Credits go @Lhotze! More Info to come (?)

Screenshot_20201123-231830_Magisk_Manager.png
(No Bugs occurred in Bluetooth/WiFi/Cellular/NFC/GPS/Hotspot/Fingerprint Sensor)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Reaktionen: Diogenes
@all: koennteet ihr bitte dazuschreiben, auf welchem Testgeraet bzw. welches System ihr das jeweils macht?

Hallo, ist doch als 6mq getaggt beim Titel (y)
Und Ene schrieb er macht das mit seinem OS-L gelieferten 6mq 🙂

Jetzt wo die Geräte an alle ausgeliefert werden hat es für mich den Anschein, als ob wir die Alpha-/Beta-Phase verlassen und jeder selbst für sich und sein Gerät verantwortlich ist. Weiterhin haben wir ein funktionierendes OTA für ShiftOS-L, was einem im Falle eines kompletten Mess-Up die Möglichkeit der Wiederherstellung gibt.

Im Anhang ein gerootetes Boot-Image der Shift-OS L Release Version (SHIFT6MQ.SOS.3.0.L-20201209) vom 09.12.2020.
Es ist mit der letzten Magisk-Version (20.4) gepatcht. Die geringe Größe im Vergleich zum original Boot-Image ist normal.

Skeptiker mit entsperrtem Bootloader können das Image mit
fastboot boot SHIFT6MQ.SOS.3.0.L-20201209-magisk_patched_boot.img vor einer möglichen Installation testen.

Einfach die Magisk-Manager App installieren und nach Eingabe des Befehls und hochfahren des Gerätes den Root-Status überprüfen. Dieser Befehl ist temporär, bei Neustart wird wieder das originale, ungepatchte Boot-Image geladen. Also genug Zeit zum Testen ob alles wie gewünscht läuft.

Greetz

Anhänge

• SHIFT6MQ.SOS.3.0.L-20201209-magisk_patched_boot.img
    12,4 MB · Aufrufe: 49
Jetzt wo die Geräte an alle ausgeliefert werden hat es für mich den Anschein, als ob wir die Alpha-/Beta-Phase verlassen und jeder selbst für sich und sein Gerät verantwortlich ist. Weiterhin haben wir ein funktionierendes OTA für ShiftOS-L, was einem im Falle eines kompletten Mess-Up die Möglichkeit der Wiederherstellung gibt.

Im Anhang ein gerootetes Boot-Image der Shift-OS L Release Version (SHIFT6MQ.SOS.3.0.L-20201209) vom 09.12.2020.
Es ist mit der letzten Magisk-Version (20.4) gepatcht. Die geringe Größe im Vergleich zum original Boot-Image ist normal.

fastboot boot SHIFT6MQ.SOS.3.0.L-20201209-magisk_patched_boot.img vor einer möglichen Installation testen.

Einfach die Magisk-Manager App installieren und nach Eingabe des Befehls und hochfahren des Gerätes den Root-Status überprüfen. Dieser Befehl ist temporär, bei Neustart wird wieder das originale, ungepatchte Boot-Image geladen. Also genug Zeit zum Testen ob alles wie gewünscht läuft.

Greetz
Erstmal vielen Dank!

Ich habe dasselbe vor einigen Tagen probiert (boot.img aus payload bin extrahiert und mit Magisk gepatched),
mein image ist auch - oh Wunder -exakt gleich (sagt zumindest diff).
Aber mit meinem Image konnte ich Mobile Daten nicht mehr nutzen (WLAN geht, Telefonieren geht, SMS bekannter Bug, aber keine Mobilen Daten).
Zurück zum extrhierten boot.img => Mobile Daten wieder verfügbar ...
Deswegen wollte ich mein Image auch lieber nicht bereitstellen ...

Hast Du das Image zufällig damit getestet? Wenn es bei Dir o.k. war, dann habe ich anderes Problem :(

Aber mit meinem Image konnte ich Mobile Daten nicht mehr nutzen (WLAN geht, Telefonieren geht, SMS bekannter Bug, aber keine Mobilen Daten).
Wurde in dem Thread relativ am Anfang auch schon behandelt. In diesem speziellen Fall wurde ein ShiftOS-G Boot-Image auf ShiftOS-L benutzt. Sicher, dass du aus dem richtigen OS-Payload extrahiert hast?
Ich habe das boot.img aus dem laufenden System, also so nah an der Base als möglich 😉

Das hier ist jetzt seit 2 Tagen in Betrieb und ich habe keine Abweichungen von der Funktionalität des Originals. Boote es mal wie von mir beschrieben und schau, ob mobile Daten funktionieren.
Greetz

Reaktionen: Martin S.

Greetz
I linked to your post in my guide ✌

Wurde in dem Thread relativ am Anfang auch schon behandelt. In diesem speziellen Fall wurde ein ShiftOS-G Boot-Image auf ShiftOS-L benutzt. Sicher, dass du aus dem richtigen OS-Payload extrahiert hast?
Ich habe das boot.img aus dem laufenden System, also so nah an der Base als möglich 😉

Das hier ist jetzt seit 2 Tagen in Betrieb und ich habe keine Abweichungen von der Funktionalität des Originals. Boote es mal wie von mir beschrieben und schau, ob mobile Daten funktionieren.
Greetz
Ja, aber damals - zumindest falls Du meinen Post von damals meinst - ging WLAN nicht (mit dem boot.img aus OS-G).
Wie gesagt: unsere beiden Images sind binär identisch!
Und das boot.img, dass ich als Basis für Magisk verwendet habe, funktioniert problemlos ...
Kann das evtl. wie bei dem SMS-Problem auch Provider-abhängig sein? Ich benutze Telekom-Netz.
Werde zur Sicherheit heute Abend alle Schritte nochmal durchühren und testen.
Danke für den schnellen Reply!

Ja, aber damals - zumindest falls Du meinen Post von damals meinst - ging WLAN nicht (mit dem boot.img aus OS-G).
Wie gesagt: unsere beiden Images sind binär identisch!
Und das boot.img, dass ich als Basis für Magisk verwendet habe, funktioniert problemlos ...
Kann das evtl. wie bei dem SMS-Problem auch Provider-abhängig sein? Ich benutze Telekom-Netz.
Werde zur Sicherheit heute Abend alle Schritte nochmal durchühren und testen.
Danke für den schnellen Reply!
Bist du auch auf der neusten OTA Update Version vom 9.12.?

Es funktioniert!
Habe es nochmal probiert:
  • fastboot boot mt Deinem Image => o.k.
  • fastboot boot mit meinem Image => o.k.
  • flash boot mit meinem Image => o.k.
Warum es damals bei mir nicht geklappt hat, keine Ahnung.
Beruhigt mich aber, dass 2 identische Images auch das gleiche Verhalten zeigen.
Insofern doch nicht "strange" ;)
Auf jeden Fall vielen Dank - ohne Dein Image hätte ich es nicht so schnell nochmal probiert!

Reaktionen: Uli und Martin S.
I encountered the WIFI not working bug too, when testing a (magisk-patched) boot.img from the full OTA ShiftOS-3.0.G-20200721-RELEASE-axolotl on my ShiftOS-G device. I think it might just be an inherent bug in that outdated version, regardless of system image being ShiftOS-L or ShiftOS-G.

I tried to get a ShiftOS-G boot.img that reflects the current version 20201111, and magisk-patch it. So far it seems to be running fine, including Wifi, but be warned that it is barely tested. Patched and stock image attached. I recommend sticking to the excellent advice from @LHotze for these, use fastboot boot <boot-image-file> to test an image till next boot, before actually flashing it.

I decided to publish the image already, because root is necessary for me to move all my stuff to a new phone. Apart from google drive backup, which is even unencrypted on Android <v9, and some manufacturer-specific tools, there don't seem to be any other reliable options available.

To get the up-to-date stock boot.img, I used vm03 update_payload_extractor on WSL in windows (supposedly not possible on Windows directly). The other variants of the dumper floating around did not support incremental updates at all, or didn't handle the used puffin patching method. First I extracted the full OTA 20200721, then applied 20200730 on the output of that, then 20200819 on the output of 20200730, etc till 20201111. It fails on patching the product image, but seemed to work fine for boot in all runs.

Anhänge

• ShiftOS-3.0.G-20201111-RELEASE-axolotl_boot_magisk.zip
    12 MB · Aufrufe: 19
  • ShiftOS-3.0.G-20201111-RELEASE-axolotl_boot_stock.zip
    11,8 MB · Aufrufe: 16
Zuletzt bearbeitet:
whoops, sorry for missing this.

i was pretty busy the last months.
if you got questions related to third party development, you can send a mail to devrel@shiftphones.com
i check my mail account multiple times per day.

during the beta phase we wanted to get actual feedback from our software itself.
if people would have started modding already, some tend to forget that they modified something and report issues, which do not originally exist.

i can provide raw images of any partition you need until we got something better in place, which automatically provides all images whenever we publish a new version.