Flashing shiftos 3.10G update manually to shift6mq

Status
Für weitere Antworten geschlossen.

chris47368

Original poster
27 Oktober 2022
Hey Everyone,

I have a rooted shiftmq(SOS 3.8G) and have been trying the restore image/flash boot image to A slot method through magisk to try to update to SOS 3.10, but despite this the OTA updater is refusing to work. I know that my system must be modified somewhere but I cant pin down which magisk module/app could be doing this.

So taking this into mind, I want to try to flash the latest update manually via the linux terminal, but i have some questions before attempting this:

1) Does anyone know if attempting to flash 'SHIFT6MQ.SOS.3.10.G.20231025-RELEASE-OTA_FROM_20220824.zip' or the contained 'payload.bin' file directly to my phone via fastboot will work, if not - what is the correct file?

2) What is the correct command(s) for me to flash the update?

3) I assume that I will be able to maintain my phone data? (I shall make a backup of my data regardless)

Thanks everyone!

The "_FROM_YYYYMMDD.zip" OTAs are incremental OTAs, which means they expect a certain state of the partitions, as the OTA zip only contains the deltas when comparing old and new state.

If you modify your system (eg via rooting), it is in a different state than expected, can not apply the deltas and will fail to update.

In the OTA thread under the manual installation section you can find the full OTA.
In case of 3.10.G it links to -> https://downloads.shiftphones.com/p.../SHIFT6MQ.SOS.3.10.G.20231025-RELEASE-OTA.zip

This contains the full content instead of delta updates, which you have to use in your case.

If you download it and install in the OTA app as "local update" (three dots on the top right), it should work.
Be sure to not reboot after the installation is done and instead open up Magisk to patch the other slot after the OTA to not lose root.

After you patched the other slot (i think it is called "inactive slot"?) with Magisk you can reboot.

The "_FROM_YYYYMMDD.zip" OTAs are incremental OTAs, which means they expect a certain state of the partitions, as the OTA zip only contains the deltas when comparing old and new state.

If you modify your system (eg via rooting), it is in a different state than expected, can not apply the deltas and will fail to update.

In the OTA thread under the manual installation section you can find the full OTA.
In case of 3.10.G it links to -> https://downloads.shiftphones.com/p.../SHIFT6MQ.SOS.3.10.G.20231025-RELEASE-OTA.zip

This contains the full content instead of delta updates, which you have to use in your case.

If you download it and install in the OTA app as "local update" (three dots on the top right), it should work.
Be sure to not reboot after the installation is done and instead open up Magisk to patch the other slot after the OTA to not lose root.

After you patched the other slot (i think it is called "inactive slot"?) with Magisk you can reboot.
Unfortuanately - I also tried the local update and all the steps that you suggested already for the OTA app/Magisk, but it doesn't even get past 'preparing for first boot' before giving up...hence why I am trying to flash this update manually :/

Thanks for your help btw!

Unfortuanately - I also tried the local update and all the steps that you suggested already for the OTA app, but it doesn't even get past 'preparing for first boot' before giving up...hence why I am trying to flash this update manually :/

Thanks for your help btw!
Already with the full OTA as well?

In that case it could be that you already installed it and a reboot is pending, that's why it refuses to install the update.

Already with the full OTA as well?

In that case it could be that you already installed it and a reboot is pending, that's why it refuses to install the update.
I rebooted my phone since trying all this - but it is still on 3.8G. I know that something must have modified my system in someway, but I don't know what changes specifically would have been made as I have a fair few root applications installed....I remember having this exact issue with my previous fairphone and had to flash each update manually and then re-root my phone.

Reaktionen: HannahF
This is not the full OTA. 😅

This is the full OTA: SHIFT6MQ.SOS.3.10.G.20231025-RELEASE-OTA.zip
It lacks "_FROM_20220824" from the file name.

Full OTA has a size of 1.3 GB.
The incremental OTA has a size of around 60 MB.
Ah, that is what you mean...the whole 3.10G OS itself xD

I am downloading the file right now and will re-try those steps! I suspect that I will face a similar issue and will have to do this through the terminal regardless - but I shall let you know!

Thanks once again! I remember you helping me out almost exactly a year ago when I flashed the incorrect bootloader and killed my WIFI xD

• Haha
Reaktionen: amartinz
This is not the full OTA. 😅

This is the full OTA: SHIFT6MQ.SOS.3.10.G.20231025-RELEASE-OTA.zip
It lacks "_FROM_20220824" from the file name.

Full OTA has a size of 1.3 GB.
The incremental OTA has a size of around 60 MB.
Well I did what you asked me to, the progress bar actually moved this time, reinstalled magisk in the inactive slot, rebooted....and i was scared i bricked my phone as the boot screen hung for a few minutes.

But its booted successfully and now I am on 3.10G with root access!

Thank you, once again! :)

Have a nice evening!(y)

Reaktionen: tkopq und amartinz
Well I did what you asked me to, the progress bar actually moved this time, reinstalled magisk in the inactive slot, rebooted....and i was scared i bricked my phone as the boot screen hung for a few minutes.

But its booted successfully and now I am on 3.10G with root access!

Thank you, once again! :)

Have a nice evening!(y)
Glad to hear!

Thanks, have a nice evening as well :)

Reaktionen: chris47368
Status
Für weitere Antworten geschlossen.