Replacement back camera modules - not the same?

twagoo

Original poster
7 April 2020
Hello! My SHIFT 6m suffered from the camera focus issue discussed in this thread. Support kindly offered to send me a replacement module so that I could replace it myself and return the old module. I opened my phone and removed the old module, which was very easy. But when trying to fit in the module I discovered it didn't quite fit as well as the original one I had just removed.

Upon closer inspection, I found out that the two modules do not look the same! The new one (shown on the right hand side in the attached pictures) has an extra 'bit' (layer) on top of the camera, which makes it a few millimeters thicker. Therefore the module doesn't fully fit into place.

It also seems that after removing the old module, some soft rubbery/foamy substance was left in the place where the camera module sat before. My impression is that this could be the same stuff that is in the top layer of the new module, but I'm not entirely sure. I tried to check how easily it could be removed, but it seems that the only way would be to scratch it out bit by bit, and that's not something I wanted to risk without checking first.

Perhaps someone that managed to replace their back camera module couldlet me know what their experience was? Was there any difference between the old and new module, and do you recognize the soft layer on which the camera module 'sits'? Thanks for any help or thoughts on this!

Anhänge

• WhatsApp Image 2020-04-25 at 19.00.07.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-25 at 19.00.07.jpeg
    138,3 KB · Aufrufe: 11
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-04-25 at 19.00.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-25 at 19.00.06.jpeg
    212,5 KB · Aufrufe: 14
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-04-25 at 19.00.08.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-25 at 19.00.08.jpeg
    327,1 KB · Aufrufe: 11
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-04-25 at 19.00.09.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-25 at 19.00.09.jpeg
    292,9 KB · Aufrufe: 12
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-04-25 at 19.00.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-25 at 19.00.06.jpeg
    93,4 KB · Aufrufe: 10
Zuletzt bearbeitet:
For me it looks like the foam should be part of the camera module and for some reason still sticks in the Smartphone case. You should remove the old foam and install the new module.

Reaktionen: twagoo
For me it looks like the foam should be part of the camera module and for some reason still sticks in the Smartphone case. You should remove the old foam and install the new module.
This was my thought as well. But as the old module came out so easily, completely detached from the foam I wasn't sure. Also in this video:
URL: https://youtu.be/aGVartyU8J8?t=187
at 3m07s one can catch a glimpse of the 'front side' of the module and the lens side seems to 'stick out' a bit just like in my original module without the extra layet.

Also, there is not just the foam, but also a transparent (hard plastic, I think) layer on top of it. If that is stuck in the case, I would have to force that out as well, not just the foam and from my careful attempts at it, it it didn't seem to move easily.

Obviously if I can be sure that this is the way to, I can try to apply a little bit more force.

Well, in this case I am not sure anymore and You should contact the support again and ask how to replace it properly.

I will do that for sure! But since the weekend had just started I thought I'd ask here as well :) Thanks for thinking along!

Update: I have received these instructions from the official support:

ja, das quadratische Plastikteil kannst du von der neuen Kamera vorsichtig ablösen. Im Rahmen von deinem Shiftphone, wo die Kamera eingesteckt werden muss, findest du das gleiche Teil.
Am besten entfernst du das Plastik vorsichtig am Kameramodul.

I hope, it worked! I just installed a new module. There was I destachable plastic (as described by support) and after taking it off, it fitted seamlessly into its place.
Yes, it worked for me! I was able to remove this bit of plastic easily. in the end. The fact that there was an additional protective strip on top of this plastic and a hole for the camera inside it just set me off in the wrong direction at first. Glad it worked for you as well.

Issue solved!