Hot swap microSD and SIM cards

useruser

New member
Original poster
27 September 2026
2
Hi, is it possible to change the microSD/SIM cards while the Shiftphone 8.1 is powered on via USB cable and without the battery in place?

If so, could I modify the plastic housing to allow the cards to be changed without removing the battery? They are on their own small module.

1790546180016.png
 
Hello @useruser ,

Theoretically, Sim and SD Card could be removed and reused in Cable Mode, but whether the System will recognize it without Restart, I do not know - and do not necessarily want to test it on my phone. 😅


Just like the Phone is structured, I see no Possibility to rebuild it ,to remove the Cards without removing the Battery.
 
The Android system is configured to not allow hotswapping, because the battery needs to be removed in order to replace them.

Which means after you did the physical modification, you'd also need to do a software modification to properly function.
 
  • Like
Reaktionen: R.E.D.